Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mother's Day

For weeks I have been dreading Mother's Day. I kept thinking in my head, "Why does Hallmark get to create holidays?" I wanted to petition them to start a day for mothers who had lost children.

But then I started researching the origin of Mother's Day. It started in the 16th century with the tradition that adult children would journey back to their mother's church once a year.

I started to think about my church experience and where Cara fit into this. As we gather around the communion table, we celebrate the resurrection of Christ with the hope that those who have gone before us are also gathered there with us. I believe Cara on Sunday will take part in the ancient tradition of returning to her mother's church. She will be with me as I come forward to receive Christ's body broken for me. She has already completely received the brokenness of his body and is waiting joyfully for the day we will be reunited.

Words from my childhood..."bring them and all the departed into the light of your Kingdom as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Savior Jesus Christ...Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again."

No comments: